From the producers:
“In 1647 Scipione di Marzo fled his hometown of San Paolo Belsito located near the town of Nola.
He settled in Tufo where he built his winery. Throughout the centuries the di Marzo family became one of the major land owners in the region. In 1866, Francesco di Marzo, while riding on his estate, saw some shepherds burning rocks to keep warm. While examining these rocks, he understood they were burning brimstone found on his land. With this discovery, the family began a large mining activity of natural brimstone, essential for agriculture. The company supplied farmers around the region and employed up to 500 people up to the early 1980’s when the mines ran out.
Today still, the di Marzo processing plant remains a reference of XIXth century industrial architecture and is visited regularly by students in architecture. Other members of the family continued to play a leading role in the development of the region. Donato di Marzo was a member of parliament and a senator from 1880 to 1911. His role was essential in the development of the railway in the region. Vito di Marzo in the twenties and thirties was also a member of parliament and a major industrial figure. Finally also in the twenties, Alberto di Marzo was a member of parliament and is especially well known as an accomplished sportsman with a passion for car racing. He organized among other things the local car race called “Principe di Piemonte.” With a winemaking tradition that dates back to the Sixteenth century, Cantine di Marzo did get registered officially as an Azienda Agricola with the Chamber of Commerce in 1833, thus being the most ancient winery in Campania region, and one of the oldest in Southern Italy.”